Chief Medical Officer , Calyx
“Calyx has set the standard for reliably solving complex problems to help the global clinical research community succeed.”
Prior to joining Calyx in March 2021, Stephen was Medical Director and Chief of Research Initiatives at Sand Lake Imaging LLLP and continues to serve as President and Chief Medical Officer for Liver Health Institute and remains an active founding member of the Concussion Neuroimaging Consortium. He has participated in over 100 clinical trials.
Stephen is an expert in Neuroradiology, Musculoskeletal Radiology, and Interventional Radiology. He has authored numerous publications and abstracts in these areas and has been published numerous times in peer journals. He is a former attending radiologist at Brigham and Women’s hospital, a former faculty member at Harvard Medical School and is a member of the International Scientific Advisory Board for Syngo Via. Siemens Medical Corporation.
Stephen is board-certified by the American Board of Radiology and is a member of the American Medical Association, Radiological Society of North America, American Roentgen Ray Society, American College of Radiology, Society of Cardiovascular & Interventional Radiology and Florida Medical Association.
Role at Calyx
- Oversight and management of Calyx’s scientific, medical and clinical groups (SciMed)
- Subject Matter Expert on Imaging Biomarkers across a broad array of therapeutic areas
- 15+ years Pharma CRO experience related to Medical Imaging in various executive leadership roles
- Global leadership experience leading radiology and clinical research teams in the Americas and England / Scotland
- Participated as investigator in over 100 Pharma funded studies in neurodegenerative disease, MS, NASH, MSK, and neuropsychiatric research silos
- Successfully secured pharmaceutical funds and wrote papers in peer-reviewed journals
- BA Harvard University, MD Cornell University Medical College, Internship Yale Medical Center, Residency and Chief Residency BWH / HMS, MSK Neuroradiology and CVIR Fellowship BWH / HMS, Staff Radiologist BWH / HMS
Bravo SM, Winalski CS, Weissman BN, et al: MR of Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS): Implications for Treatment with Radiation Synovectomy. Displayed at RSNA Annual Meeting, Chicago, November 26-December 2, 1994.
- Papa Linda, Slobounov Semyon, Breiter Hans C., Walter Alexa, Bream Tim, Seidenberg Peter, Bailes Julian, Bravo SM, Johnson Brian, Kaufman David, Molfese Dennis, Talavage Thomas, Zhu David C., Knollmann-Ritschel Barbara, Bhomia Manish (2018) Elevations in MicroRNA Biomarkers in Serum Are Associated with Measures of Concussion and Neurocognitive Function over a single NCAA Division I Season in Collegiate Football Players. Journal of Neurotrauma 36(8) October, 2018.
- Bailes J, Bravo SM, Breiter H, et al. (2015) A Call to Arms: The need to create an inter-institutional concussion neuroimaging consortium to discover clinically relevant biomarkers and develop evidence-based interventions to facilitate recovery. Developmental Neuropsychology 40 (2): 59-62.
- Bravo SM, (2014) Private Practice: When paying more for your equipment pays off. Applied Radiology 43 (9):30-31.
- Bravo SM, (2014) Private Practice: Differentiate your Practice: Couple advanced visualization software with multislice CT technology. Applied Radiology 43 (7):43-44
- Bravo SM, (2014) Private Practice: Maximize your reimbursement through payment validation. Applied Radiology 43 (5):32-33.
- Bravo SM, T McMillan (2014) Private Practice: Preparing for ICD-10. Applied Radiology 43 (3):28-29.
- Bravo SM, Lowndes J, Sinnett S, Yu Z, Rippe J (2013) Consumption of Sucrose and High Fructose Corn Syrup Does Not Increase Liver Fat or Ectopic Fat Deposition in Muscles. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism; 10.1139/Aprim-2012-0322.
- Schwartz RB, Feske SK, Bravo SM et al. (2000). Preeclampsia-Eclampsia: Clinical and Neuroradiographic Correlates and Insights into the Pathogenesis of Hypertensive Encephalopathy. Radiology 217(2): 371-376.
- Bravo SM, Reinhard R., Meyerovitz MF (1998). Percutaneous Venous Interventions. Vascular Medicine 3:61-66.
- Kandarpa K., Nakatsuka S, Bravo SM, Harapanhali RS, Barry JJ (1997). Intramural Delivery of Iloprost Using Hydrogel-Coated Balloon Catheters Suppresses Local Platelet Aggregation. Journal of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology 8:997-1004.
- Bravo SM, Winalski CS, Weissman BN (1996). Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis. Radiologic Clinics of North America 34:311-326.
- Schwartz RB, Bravo SM, Klufas RA, Hsu L, Barnes PD, Robson CD, Antin JM (1995). Cyclosporine Neurotoxicity and its Relationship to Hypertensive Encephalopathy: CT and MR Findings in 16 Patients. American Journal of Roentgenology 165(3): 627-631.
- Bravo SM, Stark P, Jacobson FL (1995). Tracheobronchial Cartilage Calcification in an In-Patient Population. Journal of Thoracic Imaging 10(3): 220-222.
- Bravo SM, Weissman B (1995). MR Appearance of Rotator Cuff Tears. Arthritis and Rheumatism 38 (2): 288-290.
- Bravo SM, Laing FC (1994). Multiple Bile Duct Hamartomas: von Meyenburg Complexes Detected on Sonography and CT Scanning. JUM 13(8): 649-651.
- Sze G, Baeirl P, Bravo SM, (1991). Evolution of the Infant Spinal Column: Gadolinium-Enhanced MR Imaging. Radiology 181: 819-826.
- Sze G, Bravo SM, Baeirl P, Shimkin P (1991). Developing Spinal Column: Gadolinium-Enhanced MR Imaging. Radiology 180: 497-502.
- Kaissar G, Kim JH, Bravo SM, Sze G (1991). Histologic Basis for Increased Extraoccular Muscle Enhancement in Gadolinium-Enhanced MR Imaging. Radiology 179: 541-542.
- Sze G, Bravo SM, Krol G (1989). Spinal lesions: Quantitative and Qualitative Temporal Evolution of Gadopentetate Dimeglumine Enhancement in MR Imaging. Radiology 170: 849-856.
Bravo SM, National Webinar, Applied Radiology, Differentiating Your Radiology Practice With Advanced Visualization Tools, September 10, 2013.
- Stephen Bravo, Peggy Xu, Matt Kelly, Michael Raymer, Rajarshi Banerjee, Stefan Neubauer: Evaluation of Multiparametric MRI in Comparison with MR Elastography in Patients Evaluated for Chronic Liver Disease: Abstract presentation EASL in Paris April 2018
- Dattoli M.J., Bravo SM, Kaplon D.M., Hayes M., Osorio A., Dycus P.M., Bostwick D., Kaminski J.M.: Efficacy of Feraheme as a Lymphatic Contrast Agent in Prostate Cancer: Abstract presentation ASTRO Annual Meeting September 2017.
- Bravo SM, Joshua Lowndes; James M Rippe, MD: Changes in fMRI Hypothalamic Activity Via Intrinsic Oscillations After Intake of Regular Soda, Diet Soda or Water During a Meal: Abstract submitted as a “late-breaking” abstract to Experimental Biology.
- Bravo TC, Dattoli MJ, Bravo SM, Hayes M, Osorio A, Dycus PM: Efficacy of Feraheme as a Lymphatic Contrast Agent in Prostate Cancer: Presented at RSNA Annual Meeting, December 1, 2014.
- Cleofe Peña-Gomez, PhD, Miguel Alonso-Alonso, MD, Bravo SM, Greta Magerowski, BA, Stephanie Sinnett, MS, RD, Joshua Lowndes, MA, Ted Angelopoulos, PhD, MPH, George L. Blackburn, MD, PhD, James M. Rippe, MD: Hypothalamic fMRI Responses to Different Sugars under Normal Intake Conditions: A Pilot Study. To be presented Obesity Society Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Lowndes J, Bravo SM, Bravo T, Sinnett S, Jordan R, Grench K, Rippe J: No Effect of the Type of Sugar on Ectopic Fat Storage. Submitted for presentation. Experimental Biology 2014.
Peña-Gómez C, Alonso-Alonso M, Bravo SM, Magerowski G, Sinnett S, Blackburn GL, Rippe J: Hypothalamic fMRI responses to different sugars under normal intake conditions: a pilot study. Obesity Society National Meeting. Accepted for presentation.
- Bravo SM, Myers C, Bravo T, Elenberger C, Posniak R, Dattoli M: Safety and Efficacy of Feraheme as a Lymphatic Contrast Agent. American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Annual Meeting September 2013.
- Bravo SM, Lowndes J, Bravo T, Yu Z, Rippe J: Ten Weeks of Daily Consumption of Common Fructose Containing Sugars Does Not Increase Ectopic Muscle Fat Deposits. Accepted for Presentation Endocrine Society Annual Meeting, June 2013.
Bravo Family Sports Medicine Center, Babson College, Wellesley, MA
Stephen M Bravo Athletic Director’s Discretionary Fund for Prevention and Treatment of Concussion in Harvard Athletes, Harvard College, Cambridge, MA
Bravo Family Sports Medicine Center, Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, NH
Member, Board of Directors, A Gift For Teaching 2006 - 2019
Associations and Affiliations
American Medical Association (1989 – Present)
Radiological Society of North America (1992 – Present)
American Roentgen Ray Society (1992 – Present)
American College of Radiology (1992 – Present)
American Association of Academic Chief Residents in Radiology (1994 –1995)
Society of Cardiovascular & Interventional Radiology (1998 – Present)
Florida Radiology Society (2003 - Present)
Florida Medical Association (2003 - Present)